BSG

BSG
Annual Convocation and Chapter 2014

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Of Vows / Florence Nightingale

From Psalm 61:  8   So will I always sing the praise of your Name, * and day by day I will fulfill my vows.

How nice that on the 11th day of each month at Evening Prayer, Gregorian Friars are able to pray this verse of Psalm 61. What a nice reminder. My Brother Karekin in San Francisco wrote about vows and I posted his comments earlier this month.  It's a serious undertaking for Religious, regardless of whether one is in a traditional community or a contemporary community.  As explained earlier today, the Canons differentiate the modes.

Tomorrow's calendar commemorates Florence Nightingale, nurse and social reformer. Several of my BSG brothers are in healthcare, serving either as Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses or Certified Nursing Assistants. One of my brothers is a Doctor of Pharmacy and one of my brothers is in medical school. As we remember Florence Nightingale tomorrow, I'll certainly be remembering all health care professionals, but especially my confreres, who have a tough job and treat it as they should - as a Vocation.  Here's an icon written by Br Tobias Haller (NY) of Florence Nightingale.





No comments:

Post a Comment